Cha 04 - Glowing Things
Stamp Sheet #1 - Check with your teacher for the wording of the StSh.
Green Words are Links to the document!
Line 1: Journals (flash paper, card sort, videos, etc)
Line 2:Atomic Timeline
Line 3: pHet lab Build an Atom
Line 4: Isotopes and Ions practice WS
Line 5: Review 4.1-4.2
Click the link colored green:
Mon, 9/11: Card Sort Activity in class. Article: Where do Elements Come From? Notes in science journal.
Tue, 9/12: Journal
Wed, 9/13: Models of the Atom (white boards, notes); Atomic theory scientists
Thu, 9/14: catch up day; watch videos #1-3 on the Tyler DeWitt playlist
Fri, 9/15: Build an atom pHet
Link to the simulation: phet.colorado.edu/sims/html/build-an-atom/latest/build-an-atom_en.html
Mon 9/18: go over pHet. Do Bead activity. Mass spec. video
Tue 9/19: Mass spec and WS; pass out Review
Wed 9/20: Catch up day
Thu 9/21: Review due; go over
Fri 9/22: Test on Atoms, history, atomic models
1. Open https://join.quizizz.com in your browser
2. Enter the 6-digit game code 653108 , and click "Proceed"
3. Now enter your name and click "Join Game!"
4. You will get an avatar, and then see a "Start Game" button. Click it to begin!
Use a science journal to record big ideas from class. These are called the "Gotta Have It Lists".
Test on Atomic structure, history, and atomic models will be on Friday, Sept. 22, 2017.
Are you looking for older materials? Hover over the title of the class, then a pull down menu will appear with the older pages.
To sign up for Remind, text @mrsswanson to 81010 or go to https://www.remind.com/join/mrsswanson
Atomic Theory Timeline
Extra Help: Online Tutorial on Atomic Theory
- Tyler Dewitt's Structure of the Atom playlist - watch this!
- So what's a cathode ray tube, anyway? youtu.be/O9Goyscbazk
- Cathode Ray tube: http://highered.mheducation.com/olcweb/cgi/pluginpop.cgi?it=swf::100%::100%::/sites/dl/free/0072512644/117354/01_Cathode_Ray_Tube.swf::Cathode%20Ray%20Tube
- How protons, electrons, and neutrons were discovered: https://youtu.be/kBgIMRV895w
- Ruthorford's experiment: http://highered.mheducation.com/olcweb/cgi/pluginpop.cgi?it=swf::480::550::/sites/dl/free/0072402334/89595/rutherfords_experiment.swf::Rutherfords%20experiment
- Atomic Structure (includes Strong Force): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAVWxPGYAu4
Atomic Mass and calculations - If you're struggling with the concept of atomic mass, or how to calculate it given a set of isotopes, please watch the following playlist:
Atomic Mass by Tyler DeWitt https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3hPm0ZdYhywV7J-IfeuOaCws8qKyVCh0
What's the Difference between Mass Number and Atomic Mass? youtu.be/m15DWkkGe_0
How to Calculate Atomic Mass, Practice Problems youtu.be/ULRsJYhQmlo